Cat Large Wheel Loaders are designed with durability built in, ensuring maximum availability through multiple life cycles. With optimized performance and simplified serviceability, our machines allow you to move more material efficiently and safely at a lower cost per ton. The 986H builds upon this legacy of durability, performance, safety, operator comfort, serviceability and sustainability.
Best built for the toughest conditions.
Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit loads into the frame.
- Cast axle pivot mounting areas better disperse stress loads for increased structural integrity.
Your key to maximum uptime and productivity is our field-proven lift arms.
- Excellent visibility to the bucket edges and work area through a Z-bar design.
- High load stresses are absorbed by the solid steel lift arms.
- Enhance strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
To ensure long life and reliability, the linkage pin joints feature a greased pin design with optional auto lube system.
Move material more efficiently with improved power and control.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission designed specifically for mining applications.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls.
- Heat treated gears and shafts extend component life and maximize reliability.
- Four forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C15 ACERT Engine
Durability and efficiency at the heart of your 986H comes from the Cat C15 ACERT engine. Optimum performance is built in to this 6 cylinder turbocharged engine.
- Mechanically Actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™) controls injection pressure over the entire engine operating range. This gives the C15 complete control over injection timing, duration and pressure.
- Extended engine life through Cat components with proven reliability.
- The Advanced Diesel Engine Management (ADEM™) A4 electronic control module manages fuel delivery to optimize performance and provide quick engine response.
Transmission Neutralizer Pedal
- Extends service brake life by neutralizing transmission as service brakes are applied.
- Allows full power to implement system while the machine is stationary during truck loading.
Set Point for Neutralization - Start of service brake pressure modulation; Full Pedal Travel - Maximum brake pressure
Productivity enabling you to move more and make more.
Load Sense Hydraulics
Increase efficiency through our Load Sense Hydraulic System. Load sense hydraulics maximize performance by directing hydraulic fluid flow through implement and steering system only when needed.
- Lowered fuel consumption.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
Simple, Intuitive Operator Interface
Operators will be productive right away with our easy-to-use operator interface.
- Comfortable soft detent implement controls.
- Low effort, responsive steering wheel.
- Easy-to-use, in-cab programmable lift kickout allows the operator to pre set linkage positions and achieve faster cycle times.
3rd Valve Hydraulic Control
• Provides versatility through the ability to control a specialized attachment.
Benefit from extended performance and reliability of your hydraulic system with our advanced filtration system.
- Implement system filter.
- Power train oil filter.
Best-in-Class operator comfort and ergonomics.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Entry and Exit
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with these newly designed, ergonomic features.
- Punch stamped tread plates provide excellent footing.
- Spacious cab provides ample space for comfortable entry and exit.
- Angled access ladder.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- High back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod that moves with the seat.
- Optional heated seat for cold weather applications.
Your operator’s productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment. • Pressurized cab with filtered air.
Greater productivity through Integrated Electronic Systems.
Cat Monitoring System
This includes a digital readout for gear selection and ground speed as well as gauge displays for:
- Fuel tank level.
- Engine and steering oil pressures.
- Engine coolant temperature.
- Torque converter and hydraulic oil temperature.
- Engine inlet air temperature.
Optional Rearview Camera
Cat Work Area Vision System (WAVS) enhances visibility around the job site through the use of a rearview camera. A camera mounted at the rear of the machine provides the input to the monitor display mounted in the front right corner of the cab, within the operators field of vision.
Making your safety our priority.
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site.
- Walkways with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Windshield cleaning platforms provide safe and convenient access for the operator.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Angled access ladder and strategically placed grab handles provide safe access and egress for the operator.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Cab mounted LED warning beacon.
- Optional heated seat.
- Optional HID lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Full Roll Over Protection System (ROPS) integrated into cab design.
Enabling high uptime by reducing your service time.
We can help you succeed by ensuring your 986H has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Longer service intervals on fluids and filters.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Centralized, ground level grease points for injecting grease into linkage pin joints.
- Centralized remote pressure taps for power train components.
- Ground electrical service center with emergency engine shutdown switch, battery disconnect switch and circuit breakers.
Your Cat dealers know how to keep your mining machines productive.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
Stewards of the environment.
Protecting the Environment
Environmental responsibility is designed and built into our 986H’s features.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- Reduce waste to the environment with our maintenance free or extended maintenance batteries.
- To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost while benefiting the environment.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
Designed for Block Handling
Unique features for block handling applications.
The 986H Block Handler delivers stability and durability with an optimized counterweight for block handling applications.
Quick Coupler Activation
The Block Handler includes an additional hydraulic valve with the Quick Coupler, allowing the operator to switch work tools and immediately lock the work tool during load and carry applications.
Larger Tilt Cylinders
The 986H Block Handler comes equipped with larger tilt cylinders on the linkage that help improve load control and ensure safe and long lasting operation.
Ride control works by using an accumulator to dampen the linkage motion, acting as a shock absorber. It provides the operator with a smoother ride over rough terrain, enabling a more comfortable ride at higher speeds.
Block Handler Front Linkage
The 986H Block Handler linkage is designed specifically for block handling applications. The linkage layout maximizes machine stability by keeping the payload close to the front tires and pin locations are designed to optimize performance with a quick coupler and fork.
Optimized Z-bar Linkage
- Linkage layout designed to maximize lift capability in block handling application.
- High load stresses are absorbed by solid steel lift arms.
- Enhanced strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
- Stress released lift arms increase durability and lengthen time to repair.
Alternator, 115 amp
Battery disconnect switch
Converter, 10/15 amp, 24V to 12V
Lighting system (halogen, work lights)
Cab, sound suppressed and pressurized
Cigar lighter, ashtray
Controls, lift and tilt function
Instrumentation, gauges: - Coolant temperature - Engine hour meter - Hydraulic oil temperature - Power train oil temperature
Light, cab, dome
Lunchbox, beverage holders
Mirrors, rearview (externally mounted)
Seat, Cat Comfort (cloth), air suspension, six-way adjustable
Seat belt, retractable
Transmission gear indicator
Wet-Arm wipers/washers (front and rear): - Intermittent front and rear wipers
Brakes, oil-cooled, multi-disc, service/secondary
Driveline parking brake
Engine, C15 ACERT diesel, turbocharged/aftercooled
Fuel priming pump (electric)
Ground level engine shutoff
Precleaner, engine air intake (above hood)
Torque converter with LUC
Transmission, planetary powershift, 4F/3R electronic control
Doors, service access (locking)
Hitch, drawbar with pin
Hoses, Cat XT
Hydraulic, steering and brake filtration/screening system
Oil sampling valves
Premixed 50% concentration of extended life coolant with freeze protection to -34° C (-29° F)
Steering, load sensing
Batteries - additional
Batteries - additional
Rearview camera (WAVS)
LED strobe warning beacon