242B Series 3 Skid Steer Loader
The Cat B-Series 3 Skid Steer Loader, with its many work tool options, delivers outstanding performance to help you get more done and increase your bottom line. Spacious, ergonomic operator station and easy-to-use pilot operated joystick controls keep you comfortable throughout the work day. High performance power train, advanced hydraulic system and traditional Cat reliability improve your productivity in the toughest working conditions.
|Engine Model||Cat® 3.4 DIT|
|Net Flywheel Power||53 kW|
|Gross Power||55 kW|
|Gross Power SAE J1995||55 kW|
|Net Power EEC ISO 9249||53 kW|
|Net Power SAE 1349||53 kW|
|Rated Operating Capacity||975 kg|
|Rated Operating Capacity w/Optional Counterweight||1000 kg|
|Tipping Load||1950 kg|
|Breakout Force, Tilt Cylinder||2044 kg|
|Operating Weight||3179 kg|
|Length w/Bucket on Ground||3437 mm|
|Length w/o Bucket||2760 mm|
|Height to Top of Cab||2019 mm|
|Vehicle Width over Tires||1676 mm|
|Max Overall Height||3918 mm|
|Bucket Pin Height at Max Lift||3086 mm|
|Bucket Pin Height at Carry Pos.||228 mm|
|Reach at Max Lift and Dump||622 mm|
|Clearance at Max Lift and Dump||2333 mm|
|Ground Clearance||178 mm|
|Bumper Overhang - Rear Axle||989 mm|
|Maximum Dump Angle||50°|
|Turn Radius from Ctr - Rear||1556 mm|
|Turn Radius from Ctr - Coupler||1311 mm|
|Turn Radius from Ctr - Bucket||2092 mm|
|Max. Reach w/Arms-Parallel||1216 mm|
|Rack Back Angle at Max Height||88°|
|Bucket Pin Reach at Max Lift||254 mm|
|Hydraulic Power||31.9 kW|
|Loader Hydraulic Pressure||23000 kPa|
|Loader Hydraulic Flow||83 L/min|
|Loader Hydraulic Pressure||23000 kPa|
|Hydraulic Power (calculated)||45 kW|
|Hydraulic Flow||High Flow|
|Loader Hydraulic Flow||117 L/min|
|ROPS||SAE J1040 MAY94, ISO 3471:1994|
|FOPS||SAE J1043 SEPT87, ISO 3449:1992 Level I|
|FOPS Level II||SAE J231 JAN81, ISO 3449:1992 Level II|
|Travel Speed Forward||12.4 km/h|
|Travel Speed Reverse||12.4 km/h|
|Travel Speed Forward - 2-Speed Option||18.4 km/h|
|Travel Speed Reverse - 2-Speed Option||18.4 km/h|
Service Refill Capacities
|Chain box, each side||6 L|
|Cooling System||10 L|
|Engine Crankcase||9 L|
|Fuel Tank||58 L|
|Hydraulic System||55 L|
|Hydraulic Tank||35 L|
Operator StationSuperior comfort to keep you productive throughout the work day.
All Day ComfortComfort and ease of operation have been designed into every aspect of the operator station. The wide, spacious interior and uncluttered floor provide a comfortable work environment with excellent head, shoulder and leg room to keep productivity high and fatigue low. The adjustable seat and low effort controls keep the operator comfortable throughout the work day.
Low Effort Joystick ControlsErgonomic, pilot hydraulic controls deliver precise control with minimal effort. The right joystick controls the loader raise, lower and tilt functions while the left joystick controls the forward and reverse travel speed plus direction. Optional deluxe joysticks provide additional auxiliary controls with fingertip control of many work tool functions, including proportional work tool hydraulics and work tool electrical. Basic and deluxe joystick functions include one-touch continuous auxiliary hydraulic flow and momentary auxiliary hydraulic flow.
Excellent VisibilityThe wide cab opening offers an exceptional view to the work tool. The sloped angle of the engine compartment allows excellent visibility to the rear of the machine. The standard rear view mirror gives the operator a panoramic view of the machine's rear and sides. The side windows remove easily for cleaning.
Additional Features for Maximum ComfortThe B-Series 3 machines offer the following additional features to help you on the job:
- Suspension seat option for even greater operator comfort.
- Easy to read instrument panels.
- Optional air conditioner and heater for greater comfort in extreme conditions.
- Standard floor mat with footrest provides non-slip surface and can be removed for easy cleaning.
- Ergonomic, contoured and padded armbar provides comfortable operation.
HydraulicsExceptional lift, breakout and power to meet your needs.
High Performance Hydraulic SystemMaximum power and reliability are built into the machine’s hydraulic system. In addition to providing power to the wheels, this system also provides the loader lift and tilt functions, powers the auxiliary circuit to drive work tools and drives the engine cooling fan. The hydraulic pumps are driven directly off the engine for maximum hydraulic performance and reliability – no belts are used. The hydraulic system also features:
- Standard auxiliary hydraulics to power work tools that are available through quick connect hydraulic couplings rigidly mounted to the loader arm.
- Cat ToughGuard™ hoses for increased reliability and durability.
High Flow HydraulicsHigh flow hydraulic system is available on the 242B Series 3 for greater machine versatility and increased work tool performance.
High Efficiency Cooling SystemCooling capacity is maximized through the use of a side-by-side cooling package and hydraulically driven cooling fan.
- High-efficiency, hydraulic oil cooler lets the machine work longer and harder in higher ambient temperatures, even with continuous work tool usage.
- Efficient, hydraulically driven cooling fan provides cooling even when the machine is under load.
- Optional variable speed demand fan provides improved fuel efficiency, increased machine performance, reduced sound levels and improved cold weather performance.
Power TrainAggressive performance with fuel efficiency.
Cat EngineThe high performance power train provides high engine horsepower and torque. The B-Series 3 machines feature rugged, reliable Cat engines that meet U.S. EPA Tier 4 Interim and EU Stage IIIA emissions requirements.
Hand and Foot ThrottlesHand and foot throttles allow the operator to match engine speed to the task. The hand throttle is ideal for jobs requiring constant engine speed such as cold planing, trenching or snow blowing. The foot throttle lets the operator vary engine speed and minimize fuel consumption for other tasks such as load and carry, truck loading, grading and dozing.
Anti-Stall FeatureThe anti-stall system maximizes machine power at all times by matching the engine torque with the operational requirements of the hystat and implement systems. This load sensing feature prevents the engine from stalling even during part throttle operation, keeping productivity high and fuel consumption low.
Two Speed OptionTwo speed is available as an option on the 236B Series 3, 242B Series 3 and 252B Series 3 Skid Steer Loader to improve cycle times and get the job done faster.
Lift LinkagesBuilt for tough jobs.
Vertical LiftThe 242B Series 3 features the vertical lift design which provides extended reach and lift height for quick and easy truck loading and material placement. The lift height is 3086 mm (121 in) on the 242B Series 3.
Work ToolsDo more jobs with one machine with Cat Work Tools.
The Right Tool for the JobGet the most out of your machine with the comprehensive line of Cat Work Tools. Designed and built for optimum performance and durability, these tools deliver high productivity in a variety of applications to maximize the versatility and flexibility of the Cat Skid Steer Loader:
- Blades (angle, dozer)
- Buckets (general purpose, high capacity, dirt, utility, light material, multi purpose, industrial grapple, utility grapple)
- Brooms (angle, pickup, utility)
- Cold Planers
- Forks (pallet, industrial grapple, utility grapple, utility)
- Hydraulic Hammers
- Landscape Tillers
- Landscape Rakes
- Material Handling Arm
- Power Box Rakes
- Snow Blowers
- Stump Grinders
- Vibratory Compactors
- Wheel Saws
Quick CouplersWork tools can be changed quickly and easily with the machine’s quick coupler system. The standard quick coupler features manual engagement and disengagement of work tools using two high leverage handles. The optional hydraulic quick coupler allows the operator to quickly change tools without leaving the cab.
ServiceabilitySimplified service and maintenance save you time and money.
Easy ServiceConvenient service features make maintenance easy, reducing your downtime:
- Industry exclusive tilt-up cooling package provides superior access to service points and coolers.
- Rear door opens 90 degrees for easy access to both sides of the engine.
- Cab tilts rearward for easy access to all hydraulic pumps, motors, valves, lines and hydraulic tank.
- Daily maintenance points are easily accessible.
- Electrical wiring is color coded and numbered for easy identification.
- S·O·SSM oil sampling valve is standard to allow regular monitoring of the hydraulic oil quality.
Customer SupportSupport you can count on.
Superior Dealer ServicesYour Cat dealer is ready to assist you with your purchase decision and everything after.
- Make comparisons of machines, with estimates of component life, preventative maintenance and cost of production
- Financing packages are flexible to meet your needs
- Your Cat dealer can evaluate the cost to repair, rebuild and replace your machine, so you can make the right decision
- For more information on Cat products, dealer services and industry solutions, visit us at www.cat.com.
- 12 volt Electrical System
- 90 ampere Alternator
- Automatic Glow Plug Activation
- Heavy Duty Battery, 880 CCA
- Ignition Key Start/Stop Switch
- Lights: Gauge Backlighting, Two Rear Tail Lights, Two Adjustable Front and Rear Halogen Lights, Dome Light
- OPERATOR ENVIRONMENT
- Gauges: Fuel Level, Hour Meter
- Operator Warning System Indicators: Air Filter Restriction, Alternator Output, Armrest Raised/Operator Out of Seat, Engine Coolant Temperature, Engine Oil Pressure, Glow Plug Activation, Hydraulic Filter Restriction, Hydraulic Oil Temperature, Parking Brak
- Vinyl Seat
- Pull Down Ergonomic Contoured Armrest
- Control Interlock System, when operator leaves seat or armrest raised: Hydraulic System Disables, Hydrostatic Transmission Disables, Parking Brake Engages
- ROPS Cab, Open, Tilt Up
- FOPS, Level 1
- Top and Rear Windows
- Floor Mat
- Interior Rear View Mirror
- 12 volt Electric Socket
- Backup Alarm
- POWER TRAIN
- Cat C3.4 DIT Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIA Compliant Diesel Engine
- Air Cleaner, Dual Element, Radial Seal
- SOSSM Sampling Valve, Hydraulic Oil
- Filters: Spin on, Hydraulic
- Filters: Bayonet-type, Fuel and Water Separator
- Tilt Up Radiator/Hydraulic Oil Cooler
- Muffler, Standard
- Spring Applied, Hydraulically Released Parking Brakes
- Hydrostatic Transmission
- Four Wheel Chain Drive
- Engine Enclosure, Lockable
- Extended Life Antifreeze, -36° C (-33° F)
- Machine Tie Down Points (4)
- Support, Lift Arm
- Hydraulic Oil Level Sight Gauge
- Radiator Coolant Level Sight Gauge
- Radiator, Expansion Bottle
- Cat ToughGuard™ Hose
- Auxiliary, Hydraulics, Continuous Flow
- Heavy Duty, Flat Faced Quick Disconnects
- Split D-Ring to Route Work Tool Hoses Along Side of Left Lift Arm
- Electrical Outlet, Beacon
- Belly Pan Cleanout
- MANDATORY EQUIPMENT
- Quick Coupler, Mechanical or Hydraulic
- Seat Belt, 50 mm (2 in) or 75 mm (3)
- EU Preparation Package (includes Demand Fan) (Europe only)
- Comfort Package (must select one of the following):
- Open ROPS (C0): Static Seat
- Open ROPS (C1): Suspension Seat, Deluxe Headliner
- Enclosed ROPS (C2): C1 plus Heater, Cab Door, Side Windows, Cup Holder, Cab Debris Barrier
- Enclosed ROPS (C3): C2 plus Air Conditioner
- Control Package (must select one of the following):
- Control Package 1: On/Off Auxiliary Hydraulics Basic
- Control Package 2: Proportional Auxiliary Hydraulics Deluxe, 1 Speed
- Control Package 3: Proportional Auxiliary Hydraulics Deluxe, 1 Speed, Work Tool Harness
- Control Package 4: Proportional Auxiliary Hydraulics Deluxe, 2 Speed
- Control Package 5: Proportional Auxiliary Hydraulics Deluxe, 2 Speed, Work Tool Harness
- Control Package 6: High Flow Hydraulics, 1 Speed
- Control Package 7: High Flow Hydraulics, 2 Speed
- Counterweight, increases rated operating capacity 23 kg (50 lb)
- Variable Speed Demand Fan
- Beacon, Rotating
- Engine Block Heater – 120V or 240V
- Oil, Hydraulic, Cold Operation
- Paint, Custom
Have a Question?
"Call Back Option available only for UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman and Qatar."