Date: January 10, 2021
Asphalt paving is no easy job. It takes a good deal of careful planning to ensure quality. There are a lot of factors that play their part. Everything needs to come together nicely to give you the desired results. So, let us take a look at some the things that you should focus on when you are trying to pave in a better way.
Getting the Right Equipment
The first thing that you need to do is to ensure that you have the right equipment for the job. Investing on the right asphalt paver would make the job a whole lot easier. At Al-Bahar, you get the widest selection of Cat® Asphalt Pavers. Just as every Cater pillar product, these machines are reliable, durable and capable of delivering the performance that your business needs. We offer a range of screed as well as track and wheeled pavers in UAE, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar. Apart from offering a wide range of asphalt pavers, we also offer quality support and maintenance services so that you can focus on the work and not worry about the machine.
Tips for Better Paving
1. Setup your Paver in the Right Way – Before you start the work, you should check your asphalt paver and all the other equipment that you would be using for a process. You can’t afford to take chances. Check all the fluid levels and gauges before you start the actual work.
You should apply a release agent or a coating solution to the parts that would come in contact with the asphalt. This would prevent it from sticking to the bare metal parts.
If you are working with a screed, then you would need to set up the screed to the project specifications. You need to set the width, the thickness of the mat, the crown or slope. You would also need to pre-heat the screed to a temperature of about 107 degrees to 135 degrees Celsius. This would prevent the mat from sticking and dragging.
To establish the screed-plate angle, you would need to rotate the depth cranks upwards or downwards and set it to the desired paving depth. This would increase or decrease the mat thickness.
2. Laying the Mat – The quality of the pavement is determined primarily by the material level and paver speed. You need to focus on consistency. This is why you need to ensure that there is a consistent head of material in front of the screed and the asphalt paver is being operated at a consistent speed.
3. Keeping an Adequate Head of Material – Having an improper head in front of the screed is one of the most common reasons behind a faulty asphalt paving work. So, what is this ‘head of material’? It is the mass of paving mix that lies directly in front of the screed and spans its entire width. It can easily fluctuate widely when you are paving, and when it does you would not be able to get a level and smooth pavement surface.
If you increase the head, it can cause a wavy surface. On the other hand, if you decrease it too much, it would reduce the mat thickness.
4. Maintaining the Paving Speed – It is important that you maintain the paving speed as failure to do so would lead to ripples, waves as well as irregular mat depth. If you change the speed, then the timing of the delivery of the hot mix would also become a challenge. In some cases, it would be hard to avoid change in speed. But you should try to keep the change constant.
So, how to determine the ideal paving speed? You should consider the number and the size of the trucks, as well as the volume and output of the mixing plant. Apart from that, you would need to consider the compaction rates and the capability of your crew, and the distance from the mixing plant to the asphalt paver.
5. The Mat Temperature and Thickness – When it comes to compaction, it is important to monitor the mat temperature. Compaction should be done while the mix has enough fluidity. This removes the void and excess air in the pavement structure with the aggregate particle movement. In some cases, you would have to complete the process within 10 minutes. You would need to discuss things with your operator to look at the different materials to determine the best temperatures. Once it is set, you need to focus on that area for the rest of the day.
These are some of the things that would enable you to carry out your paving work optimally. Get in touch with our paving expert and choose the right paving equipment including asphalt pavers, compactors, trucks and more. We offer comprehensive solutions including both new & used machines as well as for rental. To know more, contact us today.