Proven designs and components ensure multiple life cycles
Linkage and FramesWe combine 40+ years of design and field experience - as well as new validation technologies - to ensure 992K frames, castings, welds and fabrications are the best in the industry. Our unique box section rear and front frame designs combine plates and castings to manage torsion loads and provide longer lasting alignment for hitch and pin life. Sleeve bearing pins in the linkage are more predictable in their wear and limit daily greasing. For load and carry applications, optional Ride Control further reduces shock loads to the frame while giving the operator a much smoother ride.
Cat C32 EngineThe 992K retains the durability and reliability of the proven Cat C32 diesel with ACERT™ Technology. Like all Cat machines, this engine has been completely integrated into all machine systems resulting in power curves, fuel maps and ratings that are unique to this machine and applications. The solid foundation of this engine starts from our legendary foundries delivering the highest quality engine block. The mechanically actuated, electronically controlled unit injection (MEUI™) ensures that fuel is metered out in optimal quantities for both power and efficiency.
Cat Planetary Powershift TransmissionNobody builds a better transmission than Caterpillar for earthmoving applications. Everything from gear geometry, heat treatment and metallurgy are Caterpillar design controlled, including the electronics that allow it to integrate with the C32 engine and Impeller Clutch Torque Converter of the 992K. The Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission in the 992K offers three forward and three reverse speeds. The planetary gear group is common with the 993K and 994F large wheel loaders.
Delivering optimum performance for your application
Positive Flow Control Hydraulics
The 992K Positive Flow Control (PFC) Hydraulic System is setting a new standard for hydraulic response, performance and efficiency. The implement system is equipped with two electronically controlled, fully variable piston pumps for fast, productive cycles. PFC has concurrent pump and valve control. By optimizing pump control, hydraulic oil flow is proportionate to implement lever stroke. Benefits:
- Lowered fuel consumption by up to five percent
- Improved hydraulic response, giving the operator better feel and control of the bucket
- Improved power efficiency and lower system heat
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC)/Rimpull Control SystemICTC maintains hydraulic balance while digging and loading, enabling the operator to finely modulate rimpull by depressing the left pedal, thus reducing the impeller clutch pressure. The further the pedal is depressed, the more the impeller clutch pressure is reduced.
Matched SystemsAn efficient loading/hauling system starts with a perfect match. The 992K is matched to the 775 and 777 Cat Trucks providing full truck payloads with minimum loading time. This loading/hauling system will maximize volume of material moved at the lowest operating cost per ton.
Leading the industry in design and ergonomicsThe 992K sets a new benchmark in operator comfort for this size class with a completely new cab. The new cab interior has been increased giving operators plenty of room for long work shifts. Operators will appreciate this increased room when the standard trainer seat is occupied. As the benchmark for operator comfort the 992K does not compromise on safety. Standard 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belts for an operator and trainer provide comfort while keeping both occupants safe. Conversations between them will be easier with a more quiet cab while automatic temperature controls ensure they do this in complete climate comfort. Vibrations are kept to a minimum with Cat Comfort seat with air suspension and viscous cab mounts. Operators will appreciate improved air quality with a pressurized cab and filtered air. Operators can set automatic bucket heights for easier truck loading or feeding a crusher. The implement controls are finger tip controlled and low effort.
Electronic Systems Integration enables the 992K achieve greater productivityThe 992K electronic systems have been completely integrated to function as one machine. This integration creates a smart machine and more informed operator maximizing the productivity of both.
VIMS 3GNow utilizing the Advisor Display, Vital Information Management System (VIMS 3G) has been improved providing more user friendly interfaces and additional machine data logging. Since 1990 VIMS has been enabling our customers and operators to perform at their best and ensure maximum uptime for our machines using meaningful data.
Operator ProfileUp to 10 separate operator profiles can be stored through Advisor. Screen layouts and machine settings can instantly be recalled providing a quick and consistent setup between operators.
Payload Control SystemPayload Control System 3.0 is standard on the 992K providing owners and operators the ability to manage truck payloads and produce accurate records of material movement. This system is designed for on the go weighing. Up to 1,000 trucks can store 25 different materials for comprehensive record accuracy of job site performance.
Automatic KickoutOperators can easily set the dump height, return to dig/carry or bucket angle from the comfort of the cab. Standard, in-cab programmable kickouts are located in the upper left panel. This feature provides more flexibility and improved productivity when the job requires load and dump target heights.
Cat Product LinkCat® Product Link enables convenient, remote monitoring of equipment. Get usable information to keep jobs on schedule, maintain machine health and reduce fleet owning and operating costs.
Safety is always our first priority
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site. Here are just a few of the safety features found on the 992K.
- Wider stairs with improved stair angles increase safety for operators getting on and off the 992K.
- Walkways offer non-skid surfaces and integrated lock out/tag out points are designed into the service areas.
- Windshield cleaning platforms provide safe and convenient access for the operator.
- Extensive glass in the cab and optional heated mirrors extend visibility. An object detection system (rearview camera and radar) or rearview camera option increases operator awareness around the machine.
- A backup alarm is standard, and operators receive three levels of warning when the machine requires attention.
- Available HID lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- An operator trainer seat allows your seasoned professionals to guide new operators. 76 mm (3 in) wide safety belts are standard on both seats.
- External roll over and falling object protection (ROPS/FOPS).
Service Made Simple
Organized to reduce your costs
The 992K is organized into individual service centers. Combined with the diagnostics available through VIMS, Product Link and Electronic Technician, servicing the 992K can be simple and efficient. 1) Diagnostic and Fluids Service Center
- Power on switch
- Electronic Technician “ET” Com-II port
- Ground level
- Radiator fill port
- Implement fill port
- Steering tank fill port
- Transmission fill port
- Engine oil fill port
- Autolube fill port
- Keypad for machine fluid indicators
- Messenger Display 2) Hydraulic Service Center
- Hydraulic pilot filters
- Hydraulic pumps
- Hydraulic case drain filters 3) Electrical Lockout Area (left side bumper)
- Auxiliary emergency shutdown switch
- Stairway light switch
- Starter lockout switch
- Transmission lockout switch 4) Remote Diagnostic Pressure Ports Front Frame
- Lift and lower circuit
- Dump and rackback circuit
- Right and center implement pump relief pressures
- Ride control (optional)
- Pilot supply
- Manual lower valve 5) Remote Diagnostic Pressure Ports Rear Frame
- Steering left
- Steering right
- Steering pump discharge
- Fan drive
- Brake accumulator - front and rear
- Impeller clutch
- Lock-up clutch (if equipped)
- Transmission lube
- Brake pump discharge
- Axle oil cooler motor supply
- Axle oil cooler pump - front and rear
- Service brakes - front and rear 6) Electrical Service Area
- Fuse 7) Engine Filter Service Area
- Primary fuel filter
- Engine oil filters
- Water separator
- Air filters
- Secondary fuel filter
- Tertiary fuel filter
The key to a better built machine
Caterpillar’s commitment to quality is profound. We design to a higher standard so that your business can prosper.
- All of our parts are subject to quality and conformance checks. We collaborate with suppliers early in the design phase for their knowledge and manufacturing experience.
- New designs undergo Finite Element Analysis telling us where stresses congregate under loads typical of the machine’s application. New castings are virtually monitored to evaluate fill quality and temperature exchange.
- A shake table simulates thousands of hours of use in days - allowing engineers to validate durability. Further analysis on airflow, ergonomics, performance, and ISO standard compliance are performed on prototype and field follow machines.
- Further tests are performed by operators and technicians for comfort, ergonomics and serviceability either in 3D virtual environments or on the iron.
- You should know that all new product introductions at Caterpillar are guided by your voice and input, the voice of our dealer organization and their mechanics, and on our ability to physically manufacture a new design. These are just some of the criteria that make Cat products leaders in the industry, and help us ensure long life, reliable machines for your business.
Protecting the EnvironmentOur commitment to you, your business and future generations is as strong as the machines we build. Our effort to build machines that live longer, use fewer resources, and produce fewer emissions is only the start. Our plants, like the Aurora facility where the 992K is built, are conserving precious energy and resources with solar power, roof top gardens, and comprehensive recycle programs. Sustainability is profitable. Our cleaner environment helps us control quality on the assembly line and build better products. It reduces our energy demand and our output to the landfill. We can similarly help your business with machines that lead the industry in balancing fuel use with productivity demands. Each generation of Cat product produces less emissions than the last, helping reduce the carbon foot print of your fleet.
Options to reduce your cost per tonSelecting the right bucket will dictate the productivity of your loader. The process of selection starts with knowing the density of the material you load. From there, you can select the size and appropriate protection strategies that will suit the rated payload targets of your machine. With a large selection of ground engaging tools, your Cat dealer can help you build a bucket that best suits your application. Custom buckets are an option, however many 992K customers will choose one of the following:
Heavy Duty Rock BucketApplications: Face loading tightly compacted pit materials. Moderate abrasion factors and high impact loads are suitable for this bucket.
High Abrasion Rock BucketApplications: Face loading iron ore. High abrasion and moderate impact loads are suitable for this bucket. A smooth floor is also desirable. Note: Some applications can be very abrasive. Keep in mind that additional bucket protection can affect the performance of the machine such as higher horsepower loads, higher fuel consumption and affect productivity. With this in mind, it is important that you do not over protect the bucket and replaceable components of the bucket.
Bucket Ground Engaging Tools
Protect your investmentYou can’t buy a better performing or longer lasting tip than Cat K Series ground engaging tools. Short of a missing operator, nothing affects the productivity of your loader more, so consult your Cat dealer if your current system isn’t living up to expectations. When worn beyond use by such materials as iron ore, K Series are easy to change out - no hammer required. A full list of Cat GET can be found on http://www.Cat.com/get. Typical 992K Ground Engaging Tools include: Adapters and Tips: Heavy Penetration - Heavy Abrasion - Penetration Side Bar Protectors Base Edges Bucket Wings