Delivering fuel efficiency you demand through integrated machine systems.
Cat® C27 ACERT™ Engine
The Cat C27 ACERT engine is built and tested to meet your most demanding applications while meeting Tier 4 Final or Tier 2 equivalent emission standards.
- Fully integrated electronic engine controls works in concert with the entire machine to make your fuel go farther.
- Use less fuel idling with Engine Idle Shutdown.
- Maximized durability with Delayed Engine Shutdown.
Cat Planetary Powershift TransmissionMaximize your uptime with the proven planetary power shift transmission. Improved shift quality, component life and operator comfort with our electronic transmission controls.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC)
Enable your operators to maximize efficiency by varying machine rimpull while putting more horsepower to hydraulics.
- Reduced tire wear.
- Enables full throttle shifts for faster cycle times.
- Provides smooth approach to the dump target for less spillage and faster cycle times.
Cat Torque Converter with Lock-up Clutch
- Eliminates TC losses while lowering system heat.
- Improves travel speeds.
- Reduces cycle times in load and carry operations.
Enabling maximum productivity and efficiency, all day every day. The 990K systems work hard to save you fuel through advanced technologies. Utilizing On Demand Throttle, operators maintain normal operation with the left pedal and implements while the 990K manages the engine speed.
- Provides similar control and feel to our traditional throttle lock feature.
- Efficiency of manual throttle and the ergonomics of throttle lock.
Best built for the toughest conditions.
Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame.
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity.
- Excellent visibility to the bucket edges and work area through a Z-bar design.
- High load stresses are absorbed by the solid steel lift arms.
- Enhance strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
- Stress relieved lift arms increase durability and lengthen time to repair.
Front LinkageTo ensure long life and reliability, the linkage pin joints feature a greased pin design with an auto lube system attachment available from the factory.
Move material more efficiently with improved power and control.
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
Experience maximum responsiveness and control with STIC that combines directional selection, gear selection and steering into a single lever.
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements.
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection.
- Smoother, faster cycles and help reduce operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission designed specifically for mining applications.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls.
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Three forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C27 ACERT Engine
Durability and efficiency at the heart of your 990K comes from the Cat C27 ACERT Engine. Optimum performance is built in through the use of a 12 cylinder, direct injection design.
- Optimized performance and quick engine response with an electronic control module.
- Reliable efficiency with complete control over injection timing, duration and pressure with Mechanically Actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™).
- Extended engine life and improved fuel efficiency with reduced rated speed.
- Available in two versions: one that meets Tier 4 Final emission standards, and another that meets Tier 2 equivalent emission standards.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) and Rimpull Control System (RCS)
Lower your cost per ton utilizing advanced ICTC and RCS for modulated rimpull.
- Reduce tire slippage and wear by modulating rimpull from 100 to 25 percent while depressing left pedal. After 25 percent rimpull is achieved the left pedal applies the brake.
- Reduce the potential for wheel slippage without reducing hydraulic efficiency with RCS.
- Improve fuel efficiency in certain applications with our lock-up clutch torque converter providing direct drive.
Productivity enabling you to move more and make more.
Positive Flow Control Hydraulics
Increase efficiency through our Positive Flow Control (PFC) Hydraulic System. PFC has concurrent pump and valve control. By optimizing pump control, hydraulic oil flow is proportionate to implement lever movement.
- Fast, productive cycles are enabled by the fully variable implement pump.
- Increase bucket feel and control through increased hydraulic response.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
- Full hydraulic flow down to 1,600 engine rpm.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
Operators increase productivity with our responsive implements feature.
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
Confident loader operation starts with precise machine control enabled by the 990K’s load sensing hydraulic steering system.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps.
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 35 degrees of steering articulation.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
Benefit from extended performance and reliability of your hydraulic system with our advanced filtration system.
- Case drain screens.
- Hydraulic oil cooler return filter.
- Pilot filter.
- Return screens inside hydraulic tank.
- Axle oil cooler screens if equipped.
Best-in-class operator comfort and ergonomics.Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Entry and Exit
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with these newly designed, ergonomic features.
- Fold up STIC steer/armrest.
- Reduced access stairway angles.
- Standard stairway lighting.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and help reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
Ergonomic placement of switches and information display keep your operators comfortable all day every day.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators.
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification.
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake.
- Transmission override control switches.
Your operator’s productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Sound level reduced to a quiet 69 dB(A).
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box.
Greater productivity through Integrated Electronic Systems.The 990K electronic systems have been completely integrated to function as one machine. This integration creates a smart machine and more informed operator, maximizing the productivity of both.
Cat Product Link™Cat Product Link allows remote monitoring of equipment to improve overall fleet management effectiveness. Events and diagnostic codes, as well as hours, fuel, idle time and other information are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink®. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to users and dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more.
We have worked hard to help our customers and operators perform at their best through our Vital Information Management System (VIMS 3G).
- Easy-to-view graphical information display features a large touch screen interface.
- Intuitive operation and easy navigation with our enhanced user interface.
- Decrease service time by keeping operators informed about machine system malfunction or operation.
Payload Control System
Increase your efficiency with our Payload Control System 3.0.
- Quick payload measurement with on-the-go weighing.
- Comprehensive record accuracy of machine performance.
- Optional printer available for cab.
Impact your bottom line through improved machine performance with Cycle Timer. Each loading segment time can be analyzed to help you achieve more efficient operation. Features:
- Production Summary
- Machine Utilization
- Productive Cycle Time
- Loader Payload Summary
- Fuel Usage Summary
Enabling high uptime by reducing your service time.
We can help you succeed by ensuring your 990K has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to important daily service checks.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and spill prevention.
- Reduce downtime with VIMS system notifications so your operators and technicians can resolve any problems before failure.
- Ground level access to transmission control valves.
Your Cat dealers know how to keep your machines productive.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
Making your safety our priority.We are constantly introducing features on our machines in an effort to enhance safety for the operators.
- Left and right hand stairs with 45 degree angle enhance safety for operators getting on and off the 990K.
- Continuous walkway with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Optional heated mirrors ensure enhanced visibility for safe operation.
- Standard Cat Vision or optional Cat Detect with radar increase operator awareness around the machine.
- Optional HID or LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Optional cab mounted LED warning beacons.
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Safely train other operators in comfort with our standard training seat.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat and the standard trainer seat.
Steel Mill Features
Keep running in the toughest environment.
Operator Station and Machine Access
A comfortable working environment ready for your attachments.
- Cab glass mounted in rubber seals for easy replacement.
- Optional heavy duty cab mounts for installation of after market cab protection systems.
- Reinforced bumper ready for heavy fire suppression tanks.
- Damage resistant solid steel rear access steps.
Extra hydraulic capacity and stability for the toughest applications.
- Over 7800 kg (17,160 lb) of extra counterweight.
- Larger lift cylinders provide a nearly 15% increase in lift capacity.
- Tilt cylinder size increased to provide an 18% increase in hydraulic tilt capacity.
Steel mills can be a harsh environment. Extra guarding for critical machine functions keep your operation running.
- Exposed wiring and hoses are covered with heat resistant wrapping.
- Steel guard to protect the tilt cylinder rod from falling debris.
- Electro hydraulic parking brake override system.
- Transmission override system for redundancy.
- Optional guarding for bumper mounted fire suppression tanks.
Added protection even where you can’t see it.
- Silicone axle seals for extreme temperature operation.
- Machine electronic control modules located in the cab safe from heat and dust.
- Reduced rear axle oscillation for tire chain compatibility.
- Flame resistant EcoSafe hydraulic fluid available as an option.
Buckets and Ground Engaging Tools
Protect your investment.
Performance Series BucketsPerformance Series Buckets feature an optimized profile maximizing material retention and minimizing dig time, translating into significant productivity and fuel efficiency improvements. All 990K buckets are manufactured with the Performance Series design.
Serrated Edge Slag BucketSerrated spade edge bucket with abrasion resistant material. Excellent penetration combined with weld-on self sharpening serrated segments.
Straight Edge Slag BucketStraight edge bucket with K130 tooth adapters and replaceable weld-on segments.
Enhance the productivity of your loader and protect your investment in buckets with our Ground Engaging Tools (GET). Your knowledgeable Cat dealer will work with you to understand your application and needs for the GET that is best for you.
Extra material and robust design for digging and handling slag.
- Thicker shell and base edge.
- Full width rear edge for extra strength.
Save Time and Money by Working Smart.
Data from customer machines show Cat wheel loaders are among the most fuel efficient machines in the industry. Several features contribute to this excellent fuel efficiency:
- Performance Series Buckets – Deliver faster fill times and better material retention, ultimately reducing cycle times while improving productivity and fuel efficiency.
- Positive Flow Control Hydraulics – Provides only the hydraulic flow required by the implement and steering systems for improved fuel efficiency and greater rimpull.
- ACERT Engine – Advanced engine controls maximize power and efficiency.
- Economy Mode – Featuring On Demand Throttle, Economy Mode optimizes power for maximum fuel savings with minimal impact on production.
- Engine Idle Shutdown – Automatic engine and electrical system shutdown conserves fuel.
- Lock-up Torque Converter – Transfers more power to the ground and optimizes fuel efficiency in all applications.
Machine configuration, operator technique, and job site layout can impact fuel consumption.
- Machine Configuration – Select the correct work tool and tire type based on machine application. Ensure proper inflation pressures. Utilize the Economy Mode setting for maximum efficiency.
- Job Site Layout – Spot loading targets in the right position. Avoid traveling more than 1.5 tire revolutions during truck loading cycles. Reduce transport distance for load and carry cycles by optimizing job site layout.
- Loading Bucket – Load in first gear. Raise and tilt bucket quickly and do not use a “pumping” motion. Avoid lift lever detent and use impeller clutch.
- Loading Truck or Hopper – Do not raise the work tool any higher than necessary. Keep engine rpm low and unload in controlled manner.
- Idle – Set the parking brake to engage Engine Idle Management System.