The 834G power train components deliver dependable, reliable performance customers expect from Cat Wheel Dozers.
1 Caterpillar 3456 Diesel EngineIs based on one of the most successful engines offered by Caterpillar, the 3406E. The 3456 is Tier 2 compliant and features increased horsepower and efficient fuel management for quick response, high productivity and exceptional service life. A new, sculptured cylinder block provides greater strength and is lighter weight.
• ADEM™ III (Advanced Diesel Engine Management III) SystemControls the fuel injector solenoids to start and stop fuel injection. This system provides automatic altitude compensation, air filter restriction indication and will not allow the engine to fire until it has oil pressure, acting as a cold start protection and a form of pre-lube.
• Air to Air Aftercooler (ATAAC) System
Provides a separate cooling system for the intake manifold air. The ATAAC system routes hot compressed air from the turbo and cools it with a single pass, air-to-air aluminum heat exchanger. The cooled, compressed air greatly reduces the emissions produced, meeting Tier 2 requirements.
- Airflow matched turbocharger with power rating helps reduce emissions.
- 19 percent more bearing area allows the engine to operate at the maximum cylinder pressure.
- Higher cylinder pressure capability helps reduce fuel consumption and improves high altitude operation.
- Cylinder head exhaust port sleeves reduce heat rejection which results in less heat transfer into the water jacket system.
2 Separate Engine Cooling SystemIsolates the radiator and fan from the engine compartment for more efficient cooling and allows for a sloped hood for increased viewing.
Advanced Modular Cooling System (AMOCS)Improves cooling capabilities by using a parallel flow system with 10 cores. Serviceability is improved with AMOCS as there is no top tank to remove.
3 Electronically Controlled Caterpillar Planetary Power Shift TransmissionFeatures preimeter-mounted, large diameter clutch packs that control inertia for smooth shifting and increased component life.
4 Impeller Clutch Torque Converter
Combined with the Rimpull Control System (RCS) allows the operator maximum flexibility in modulating rimpull.
- The torque converter is equipped with a standard lock-up clutch for direct drive efficiency.
- Improved calibration procedure
- Improved left pedal modulation
- Compensates for wear by providing the ability to recalibrate for optimum left pedal modulation regardless of torque converter wear
- Uses the left brake pedal to modulate rimpull from 100 percent to 20 percent for reslippage. After 20 percent is achieved, further pedal travel applies the brake.
- RCS allows the operator to select from four preset rimpull settings (low, medium, high and maximum).
5 Heavy-Duty AxlesFeature optional axle oil coolers, permanently lubed universal joints and stronger axle components in both the differentials and final drives for increased performance, serviceability and durability. Conventional differential is standard.
• Free-Floating Axle ShaftsCan be removed independent of the wheels and planetaries for quick and easy serviceability.
• Optional Axle Oil Cooling SystemFeatures two circuits that circulate oil from the differentials through an oil-to-air cooler and a filter back to the brakes. This system provides increased oil life and improves component performance and durability. The system automatically turns on and off at a preset oil temperature.
6 Axle-Shaft, Oil Disk Brakes
Are adjustment-free, fully hydraulic and completely sealed. Disc face grooves provide cooling, even when brakes are applied, for a long, fade-resistant service life.
- Location of the brakes improves serviceability. The axle-shaft brake design allows brake service while leaving the final drive intact.
- Axle-shaft brakes require less force by operating on the low torque side of the axle. Combined with improved axle oil circulation for increased cooling, the oil-enclosed, multiple-disc brake design improves durability.
- Parking brake is spring-applied, oil-released and dry disc. It is mounted on the transmission transfer gear output shaft. Manual override is possible to allow movement of the machine.
• Secondary BrakesAre fully modulated and the front and rear service brake circuits are isolated so one circuit can operate if pressure drops in the other circuit.
• Service BrakesAre four wheel, hydraulic, oil dipped multiple disc brakes that are adjustment-free, completely enclosed and allow modulated engagement without slack adjusters.
• Parking BrakeIs spring-applied, oil-released and dry disc. It is mounted on the transmission transfer gear output shaft. Manual override is possible to allow movement of the machine.
Well-balanced hydraulics deliver precise, low-effort control and trouble-free operation.
1 Electro-Hydraulic Control SystemIncreases hydraulic efficiency and enhances operator comfort through low-effort fingertip controls. XT-3 and XT-5 hose combine with reliable components to help reduce the risk of leaks and blowing lines.
2 Blade ControlA floor mounted single-lever, fingertip control for lift/lower/tilt/tip sends electronic signals to a main hydraulic valve positioned outside the cab. This eliminates sound, heat and control effort associated with in-cab hydraulic valve systems.
Features fingertip control for ease of operation. Lift circuit features:
- Four positions: raise, hold, lower and float
- Detente hold on float
3 Load Sensing SteeringWith the STIC control system, integrates steering and transmission into a single controller. The steering system utilizes a variable displacement pump for maximum machine performance by directing power through the steering system only when needed.
Electronic Monitoring System III (EMSIII)Continually monitors various machine systems through three instrument clusters and provides a three-level warning system to alert the operator of immediate or pending problems. EMS III shares information with the engine, hydraulic and transmission controls that can be used during servicing to simplify service and troubleshooting. EMS III allows for new software to be uploaded in the cab.
Demand FanIs a speed controlled, hydraulic fan that provides maximum cooling efficiency by directing the appropriate amount of power through the fan system based on coolant temperature.
4 Case Drain FiltrationThe 834G has two case drain filters that protect the steering and fan pumps from contamination with easy access for service.
Caterpillar Monitoring System (EMS-III)Continually monitors various machine systems through three instrument clusters and provides a three-level warning system to alert the operator of immediate or pending problems. It shares information with the engine, hydraulic and transmission controls that can be used during servicing to simplify service and troubleshooting. The Caterpillar Monitoring System allows for new software to be uploaded in the cab.
Case Drain FiltrationThe 834G has two case drain filters that protect the steering and fan pumps from contamination with easy access for service.
Advanced design and materials provide superior strength.
Structure ConstructionCombine the use of robotic welding on up to 90 percent of the 834G while castings in several areas to increase strength by helping to spread the loads and reduce the number of parts. This provides highly consistent welds with deep plate penetration and excellent plate fusion. The benefit is increased durability and fatigue strength. The computer controlled machining ensures the alignments of pin bore, axle pad, cab mount and transmission/engine components.
1 Box-Section Engine End-FrameIs designed to resist twisting and torsional forces and to provide a solid foundation for axles, engine and transmission.
2 Two-Plate Front FrameProvides maximum structural strength during dozing applications for improved stability.
3 Spread-Hitch DesignIs large and improves load distribution by reducing loads to the hitch bearings. The large center hitch design improves hydraulic line routing and makes service access easier.
Upper and Lower Hitch PinsPivot on double-tapered roller bearings. Box-style sections in the hitch pins and cross member assembly improve strength of the frame structure.
Engine and Transmission MountsUse a rubber, mushroomed, cup-shaped design to reduce noise and vibration.
Frame DesignStraight side rail design improves torsional strength, shock load absorption and frame alignment. It is specifically designed with fewer parts to improve quality and reliability.
A new industry standard for comfort and efficiency.
World Class CabWith over 3.18 m3 (112 ft3) of volume incorporates innovations for operator comfort, maneuverability and productivity. Features include outstanding viewing area, improved cab ventilation, interior sound levels below 77 dB(A), standard coat hook, cup holder, storage bin, intermittent wet-arm wipers, room for a large lunch cooler and radio-readiness.
1 STIC Control SystemCombines gear selection and steering into one control lever that requires less effort and provides smooth shifting. Side-to-side motions for steering, finger operated direction control and thumb operated buttons for gear selection combine to provide a fluid motion that reduces effort and allows the operator to work the machine for long periods of time with little or no fatigue.
2 Left PedalOperates the Impeller Clutch Torque Converter. Within the first one and a half inches of pedal travel, rimpull can be controlled from 100 percent to 20 percent. Fully depressing the pedal applies the brake. The right pedal allows standard braking.
3 Comfort Series SeatWith air suspension and retractable seat belt is designed for increased comfort and support. Seat cushions reduce pressure on the lower back and thighs while allowing increased arm and leg movement.
4 Electro-Hydraulic Blade ControlsAre adjustable fore and aft, with a height-adjustable armrest so operators of any size can find a comfortable position. Single lever control allows operator to control blade functions: lift/lower, tip and tilt.
5 Tilt/Tip SwitchAllows operators to select tilt or tip control for dozing.
6 Electronic Monitoring System III (EMSIII)
Provides information on the machine's major components and systems.
- Gauges display fuel tank level and temperatures for engine coolant, power train and hydraulic oil. The tachometer is an analog gauge with digital readout for gear selection and ground speed.
- The main module consists of ten fault indicators and one display panel. Alerts occur for engine oil pressure, parking brake status, brake oil pressure, charging system, coolant flow status, hydraulic filter status, steering pressure, axle oil temperature, engine overspeed, machine hours, digital engine speed, odomoeter and faults.
- Alerts the operator if transmission is engaged while parking brake is applied or if pressure drops, the brake is applied.
7 Throttle LockAllows the operator to pre-set the engine speed for a variety of applications, resulting in faster cycle times and increased productivity.
8 Rimpull Control System (RCS)Has four factory preset rimpull settings (low, medium, high and maximum) that can be modified by the dealer for operator preference or to better match ground conditions.
9 AutoshiftAllows the operator to set the maximum gear into which the transmission will be allowed to shift. This feature allows additional comfort and focus on the job. The switch also offers a manual position for operator controlled shifting.
10 Lock-Up Clutch Torque Converter SwitchActivates lock-up clutch for direct drive efficiency.
11 Front and Rear Window Wiper/WashersAre within easy reach to maintain a clear field of vision.
12 Viewing AreaIs improved with bonded front windshield that eliminate distracting metal frames for excellent bucket and work site visibility. An internal ROPS improves peripheral viewing by eliminating the large structure outside the cab.
13 Electro-Hydraulic Lock-Out SwitchDisables hydraulic controls.
Caterpillar blades are available to match many dozing requirements.
Are resilient and durable and designed with excellent dozing and rolling characteristics.
- Capacities and widths are set to achieve increased productivity.
- Special design allows for spreading of cover material as well as dozing of heavier loads.
- High-strength, pressed rib construction.
- Large, bolt-on cutting edges are DH-2 steel. End bits are DH-3 to provide maximum service life in tough materials.
- Blades are fitted with Caterpillar standard hardware and Ground Engaging Tools (G.E.T.).
- Cat blades are rebuildable for extended service life.
1 Straight BladeIs designed for production dozing in stockpiled material and general earthmoving.
2 Universal BladeIs designed for moving large loads over long distances in mining applications.
3 Coal BladeIs designed for precise and productive dozing while helping to retain load control with increased capacity for lighter materials. Wing angles help retain the load while dozing.
AssembliesFor the straight blade and universal blade consist of the blade, push arms, hydraulic lift, tip and tilt cylinders, trunnion mounting and hydraulic line guards.
Simplified service means more production time.
Easy MaintenanceIn addition to the servicing features built into the engine, the 834G includes:
Cat dealer services help keep machine operating longer with lower costs.
Machine SelectionMake detailed comparisons of the machines under consideration before purchase. Cat dealers can estimate component life, preventative maintenance cost and the true cost of lost production.
PurchaseLook past initial price. Consider the financing options available as well as the day-to-day operating costs. Look at dealer services that can be included in the cost of the machine to yield lower equipment owning and operating costs over the long run.
Customer Support AgreementsCat dealers offer a variety of product support agreements and work with you to develop a plan that best meets specific needs. These plans can cover the entire machine, including work tools, to help protect your investment.
Product SupportYou will find nearly all parts at our dealer parts counter. Cat dealers use a world-wide computer network to find in-stock parts to minimize machine down time. Save money with genuine Cat Remanufcatured parts. You receive the same warranty and reliability as new products at cost savings of 40 to 70 percent.
OperationImproving operating techniques can boost profits. Your Cat dealer has training videotapes, literature and other ideas to help increase productivity.
Maintenance ServicesMore and more equipment buyers are planning for effective maintenance before buying equipment. Choose from your dealer's wide range of maintenance services at the time you purchase your machine. Repair option programs guarantee the cost of repairs up front. Diagnostic programs such as S·O·SSM and Coolant Sampling and Technical Analysis help you avoid unscheduled repairs.
ReplacementRepair, rebuild or replace? Your Cat dealers can help you evaluate the costs involved so you can make the right choice.