Integrated, robust components
WinchesNew heavy-duty winch design works with updated machine hydraulics for greater productivity. Boom and hook draw works are driven by independent hydraulic winches. Oil-disc brakes provide smooth operation and positive retention of boom and hook positions. A modular, pin-on design allows for fast replacement and easy field service. Interchangeable parts between hook and boom winch assemblies help reduce cost and downtime. The winch profile has been reduced to enhance visibility and meet critical transport requirements for rail shipment.
CounterweightNew counterweight profile adds more counterweight, increasing lift capacity. Segments are contoured to provide a low center of gravity and enhanced visibility to the front and side. The counterweight is extended hydraulically for improved load balance and clearance. Segments are splined for ease of assembly and disassembly. The PL83 has a rated lift capacity of 72 575 kg (160,000 lb).
BoomThe light weight, durable boom features high tensile strength steel construction for narrow structures and maximum visibility to the work area. Replaceable boom-mount bearings aid serviceability and long life.
Blocks and HookUpdated block set profile enhances visibility to the pipe and helps take advantage of the full length of the boom. The heavy-lifting components include hook and boom blocks with sleeve bearings, a forged hook with latch and serviceable handle, and ductile iron sheaves. A bolt-on block horn has been added to the front of the machine for convenient storage of the block set during transport.
DrawbarA robust drawbar tows a wide range of attachments for maximum versatility.
Designed for Productive Comfort
Caterpillar designs operator stations for maximum productivity. Operator comfort features and excellent visibility all around the machine help operators work more efficiently and contribute to job site safety. Customers may choose an Open Cab (OROPS), an Enclosed Cab with single pane glass, or an Arctic Cab with Dual Pane glass.
- A Roll Over Protection Structure (ROPS) provides added operator protection with an open or enclosed cab.
- A more durable access ladder design aids access/egress to the operator station, and can be removed to minimize the machine’s shipping envelope.
- Additional mirrors further enhance the operator’s visibility all around the machine.
- Ergonomically designed seat is positioned for enhanced visibility to the trench and for convenient access to key operator control levers and pedals.
- Monitoring system provides instant feedback on the condition of operating systems and records performance data for diagnostics and to help manage undercarriage wear. The system also features a digital and gauge-type tachometer.
- 12-volt outlets power devices like cell phones and laptop computers.
Implement and Steering Controls
Ergonomically Designed for Ease of Operation
Pipelayer ControlRight joystick places all of the boom, hook and counterweight function control in one hand. Low-effort, ergonomically designed control handle allows simultaneous, precise positioning of the load line and boom. 1) Increment/decrement buttons on pipelayer control handle provide continuous adjustable throttle. 2) Thumb rocker controls the counterweight functions. 3) Joystick forward lowers the hook and joystick back raises the hook. Joystick left lowers the boom and joystick right raises the boom. 4) Quick drop control. 5) Rocker switch allows the operator to increase/decrease engine speed to a set level with the touch of a button.
Quick Drop ControlThe new quick drop control, when pushed, will allow the load on the hook to free fall to the ground. This control is to be used only in emergency situations where the load must be released immediately.
Dual Brake Pedal ControlsDual brake pedal controls provide enhanced maneuverability and steering control, especially in slope applications. Brakes are spring applied and hydraulically actuated.
PL83 Steering ControlDual-twist tiller control with standard differential steering controls direction and degree of turns, forward/reverse shifting, and gear selection in a single control handle. One hand steering enhances operator comfort.
Designed with Pipeline Productivity in MindThe optional enclosed cab is designed by Caterpillar specifically for demanding pipeline applications. The cab is designed to work with the Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS), and is fully insulated with a heater. Air conditioning is available as an option. Glass area is maximized for excellent sight lines around the machine and to the trench to aid productivity and enhance job site safety. A skylight window provides a view to the boom and upper block. The cab includes eight additional halogen lights: three facing forward, two to the rear, two to the boom side and one to the winch side. Wipers provide a clearer view during inclement weather.
Arctic ArrangementAn arctic arrangement equips the pipelayer for optimal performance in arctic conditions. The Arctic Cab has many of the same operator comfort features as the enclosed cab, but adds dual pane windows for cold weather environments. The arrangement also incorporates fluids, final drive and roller seals, and batteries designed to perform in severe cold weather environments.
Engine and Power Train
EngineThe Cat C15 engine with ACERT™ Technology provides the large displacement and high torque rise for the power needed on challenging jobs. Matched to the high-efficiency torque divider and electronically controlled power shift transmission, the C15 ACERT engine will provide years of dependable service.
Constant Net HorsepowerConstant net horsepower maintains high standards of performance and response. The engine automatically adjusts to maintain power output and conversely lowers output when demands are low. This provides significant fuel savings in cooler climates and during long engine idle times typical of pipeline applications.
Planetary Power Shift TransmissionThe planetary power shift transmission offers smooth shifting and quick speed and directional changes for maximum productivity. With three speeds forward and three speeds reverse, the transmission utilizes large diameter, high capacity, oil-cooled clutches for long life. An oil-to-water cooler facilitates maximum cooling capacity, and forced oil flow lubricates and cools clutch packs for long life.
PL83 Differential Steering SystemA planetary differential turns the machine by speeding up one track and slowing the other, while maintaining full power to both. This contributes to superior maneuverability, as well as enhanced slope capability. Differential steering also aids performance in soft underfoot conditions because both tracks are powered during turns. The low effort steering tiller aids ease of operation.
Underlying StrengthThe Pipelayer main frame is engineered to handle the most demanding applications. The mainframe is built to absorb high impact shock loads and twisting forces, and full box section frame rails are designed to keep components rigidly aligned. Heavy steel castings add strength to the main case, center saddle and front cross member for outstanding durability. Top and bottom rails are continuous rolled sections, with no machining or welding, to provide superior mainframe durability. The final drives are elevated well above the ground level work area to protect them from impact loads, abrasion and contaminants. Caterpillar uses robotic welding techniques in the assembly of the case and frames. The deep penetration and consistency of robotic welding insures quality for long life and durability.
Engineered for PerformanceThe PL83 features a non-suspended, Cat elevated sprocket undercarriage. Track roller frame length has been increased by 128 mm (5.03 in), and the rear idler has been moved down and rearward, resulting in more track on the ground to enhance machine stability, especially on steep slopes. Undercarriage components are built for long life and ease of serviceability. Rollers and idlers feature Duo-Cone™ seals to help prevent oil loss and dirt entry. Tubular roller frames resist bending and twisting, with added reinforcement where operating loads are highest. Cat Tough Steel™ sprocket segments are precision machined after heat treat for proper fit. Segments can be removed or replaced without breaking the track. Pipelayer track is designed for high-impact and high load applications. The Positive Pin Retention Sealed and Lubricated Track is an exclusive Caterpillar design that locks the link to the pin for enhanced service life. Track shoes help optimize the machine for performance in demanding underfoot conditions. The PL83 is equipped with 762 mm (30 in) medium service track shoes with sealed and lubricated track (48 sections).
Solutions to Make Work Easier and More Efficient
Cat Product Link*Remote monitoring with Product Link improves overall fleet management effectiveness. Product Link is deeply integrated into machine systems. Events and diagnostic codes, as well as hours, fuel, idle time and other detailed information are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink™. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to users and dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more. *Product Link licensing not available in all areas.
Load Monitor ReadyThe PL83 is Load Monitor Indicator (LMI) ready from the factory and can accept regional LMI systems. New hydraulic circuitry, integrated mounting hardware and the ready-mount power supply makes system installation simple. The LMI ready hydraulic system enables installation without opening the hydraulic system thus preventing contamination.
Thinking Generations Ahead
- Fuel efficient engine, and power saving features like constant net horsepower, help save fuel to reduce costs and lower emissions.
- Technologies like Product Link help improve overall efficiency, save fuel and fluids, and reduce equipment wear and tear.
- Longer service intervals help reduce parts and fluids consumption.
- Ecology drains make draining fluids more convenient and help prevent spills.
- Major components are built to be rebuilt, eliminating waste and saving customers money by giving the machine and/or major components a second - and even third - life.
More Productivity, Less CostGrouped service points and easy maintenance contribute to increased machine up-time for greater productivity and reduced costs.
Easy DiagnosticsThe machine monitoring system provides instant feedback on the condition of operating systems, utilizing a three level warning system. The system can easily be upgraded by flashing software.
- For ease of servicing, all regular engine maintenance points are easily reached through the left-hand engine compartment.
- Engine doors are equipped with door handles and keyed locks for better protection.
- Enlarged service panel doors provide easier access to all maintenance locations.
- Remote-mounted fuel and hydraulic filters located within easy reach.
- Optional fast fill fuel tank available.
- Hydraulic oil, pivot shaft oil and washer fluid levels are conveniently monitored using a sight gauge.
- Fuel tank fill, hydraulic oil sight gauge, fuel tank water and sediment drain and S·O·SSM sampling ports are conveniently grouped within easy reach on the back of the machine.
- Pressure taps are grouped to allow for quick monitoring of the hydraulic system, and have ground-level access through the left service access door.
Cooling PackageCores and fan are accessible from ground level, with grill doors that are easily removed for cleaning and maintenance. The core is also easily accessed from the back through the engine compartment. The radiator fill cap for engine coolant refill is located on top of the hood.
Ecology DrainsEcology drains provide a convenient method for draining fluids that saves time and helps prevent spills. They are included on the radiator (coolant), hydraulic tank and engine oil change.
Designed with Protection in Mind
Job site safety is a key concern for pipeline customers, and Cat pipelayers are designed with features to help protect people in and around the machine.
- A Roll Over Protection Structure (ROPS) provides added operator protection with an open or enclosed cab.
- New winch profile and additional mirrors provide even greater visibility around the machine.
- Increased undercarriage length and repositioned rear idler enhance slope capability.
- PL83 pipelayers are Load Monitor Indicator (LMI) ready to help operators monitor loads for enhanced job site safety and efficiency.
- Grab handles help personnel maintain three points of contact while servicing.
- Updated quick drop release conveniently located near right-hand controls.
Renowned Cat Dealer Support
When Uptime CountsCat dealers excel at providing parts availability and equipment service to even the most remote areas. With more than 10,000 service technicians employed in over 3,000 Cat dealer locations around the world, Cat parts and service resources and capabilities are beyond compare. - Manage costs with preventive maintenance programs like Custom Track Service, S·O·SSM analysis, and guaranteed maintenance contracts. - Stay productive with best-in-class parts availability. Cat dealers can even help you with operator training to help you boost your profits. And when it’s time for machine replacement, your Cat dealer can help you save even more with Genuine Cat Reman parts. Receive the same warranty and reliability as new products at cost savings of 40 to 70 percent for power train and hydraulic components.