Comfort, productivity, advanced technology
VisibilityGood visibility is key to your safety and efficiency. Large windows make it easy to see the moldboard and tires, as well as behind the machine. The front frame, lift arms and rear enclosure are coated with glare reducing paint to help you operate more safely at night. Available front and rear facing cameras further enhance lines of sight all around the machine.
Comfort and ControlExperience the most spacious, comfortable cab in the industry. Revolutionary joystick controls replace levers, so hand and arm movement is reduced by 78%, leaving operators much less fatigued at the end of the day. Rocker switches and control levers are in easy reach. A standard Cat Comfort Series suspension seat and arm/wrist rests are fully adjustable for even more comfort and productivity. Multiple isolation mounts significantly reduce sound and vibration for a more relaxed work environment. The high capacity Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system dehumidifies and pressurizes the cab, circulates fresh air, seals out dust and keeps windows clear. Available Bluetooth technology enables streaming audio from a portable device and hands-free use of a mobile phone while operating machine.
In-Dash Instrument ClusterEasy-to-read, high-visibility gauges and warning lamps keep you aware of critical system information. Cat Messenger offers real-time machine performance and diagnostic data to help you get the most from your machine.
Steering and Implement Controls
Unprecedented precision and ease of operationOperators are more comfortable and productive with two electro-hydraulic joysticks. New and experienced operators around the world report that the controls are easy to learn, and that the electronically adjustable control pods help position them for optimal comfort, visibility and proper operation.
Joystick FunctionsThe left joystick controls steering, articulation, return-to-center, wheel lean, gear selection, left moldboard lift cylinder and float. The right joystick controls drawbar, circle and moldboard functions as well as electronic throttle control and manual differential lock/unlock. Joystick lean angle mirrors the steer tires’ turning angle. A brake tensioning system holds the joystick in position until the operator moves it. The steering control automatically reduces steering sensitivity at higher ground speeds for predictable control. Infinitely variable roller switches control of the rear ripper and/or front lift group (when equipped).
Electronic Throttle ControlProvides easy, precise and consistent throttle operation. An automatic/manual mode switch offers flexibility for different applications and operator preferences.
Articulation Return-to-CenterAutomatically returns the machine to a straight frame position from any angle with the touch of a button.
Power and reliabilityThe Cat C18 engine with ACERT Technology gives you the performance you need to maintain consistent grading speeds for maximum productivity. Superior torque and lugging capability provide the power to pull through sudden, short-term increases in loads. ACERT Technology lowers combustion chamber temperatures and optimizes fuel combustion to generate more work output for your fuel cost. ACERT engines also generate fewer emissions to meet the needs of operations around the world. With engine speed limited to 1950 rpm, cylinder velocities are lowered to help you reduce fuel consumption by up to 5%.* The altitude rating is increased, and the rest of the power train has been updated to maintain the same ground speed and power. *Actual fuel savings may vary based on specific site operations and emission level.
Hydraulic Demand FanThe hydraulic demand fan automatically adjusts the cooling fan speed according to engine cooling requirements. When cooling demand is reduced, you benefit from more power to the ground and improved fuel efficiency.
Compression BrakeThe standard three-phase compression brake enables higher travel speeds downhill, while reducing wear on brake components. This improves overall productivity and lowers your maintenance costs.
Ether Starting AidA standard ether starting aid feature helps cold-weather startups in extreme temperatures.
Maximum power to the ground
We designed the 24M to give you efficiency and longevity in your most demanding applications.
- Full Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC) system optimizes inching modulation for smooth shifts and directional changes, reducing stress on gears.
- Standard Programmable Autoshift simplifies operation by allowing the operator to program the transmission to shift at optimal points to match your application.
- Lockup Clutch Torque Converter permits the machine to operate in direct drive for more efficient operation at higher engine speeds and in converter mode for more low end torque.
- Six forward and three reverse gears are specifically designed to give you a wide operating range for maximum productivity in all mining applications.
- Balanced Planetary Transmission provides superior load distribution and heat dissipation for longer transmission life.
- Engine Over-Speed Protection prevents downshifting until an acceptable safe travel speed has been established.
- Stall speed protection limits engine speed at high stall ratios to help protect the driveline and machine systems.
Front and Rear AxlesThe sealed spindle keeps front axle bearings lubricated and protected from contaminants. The Cat “Live Spindle” design places the larger tapered roller bearing on the outside, where the load is greater, extending bearing life. A bolt-on modular rear axle improves serviceability and contamination control with easy access to differential components.
Hydraulic BrakesOil-bathed multi-disc service brakes are hydraulically actuated for smooth, predictable braking and lower operating costs. Brakes are located at each tandem wheel for a large total brake surface area to give you dependable stopping power and longer life.
Structures and Drawbar-Circle-Moldboard
Service ease and precise blade controlCaterpillar designs motor grader frame and drawbar components to give you performance and durability in heavy duty applications. The one-piece forged steel circle stands up to high stress loads, and a sacrificial wear system helps keep your service time and costs down. The articulation hitch features a large tapered roller bearing to carry loads evenly and smoothly. It is sealed to prevent contamination and a locking pin prevents articulation for safety during service or transport.
Blade Angle and MoldboardAn aggressive blade angle helps you work more efficiently by allowing material to roll more freely along the blade. The moldboard features heat-treated rails, hardened cutting edges and end bits, and heavy duty bolts to give you greater reliability and long service life. Optimized moldboard curvature and large throat clearance help you move material more efficiently.
Easy Maintenance for More UptimeA series of shims, strips and wear inserts are easy to add or replace. This keeps drawbar-circle moldboard components factory-tight for higher quality work, and saves you service time and costs. An adjustable rear circle drive reduces service time and loading to help increase system life. Six bolt-on tooth segments on the circle can be individually replaced to reduce cost and downtime for maintenance.
Advanced machine controlState-of-the-art electro-hydraulics give you advanced machine controls with precise and predictable movements.
Load Sensing Hydraulics (PPPC)
A proven load-sensing system and advanced Proportional Priority Pressure-Compensating (PPPC) electro-hydraulic valves give you superior implement control and enhanced machine performance. Continuously matching hydraulic flow/pressure to power demands creates less heat and reduces power consumption.
- Consistent, Predictable Movement - PPPC valves have different flow rates for the head and rod ends of the cylinder, so you can count on consistent, predictable implement response.
- Balanced Flow - Hydraulic flow is proportioned to give you confidence that all implements will operate simultaneously without slowing the engine or speed of some implements.
Blade FloatAllows the blade to move freely under its own weight. By floating both cylinders, the blade can follow the contours of the haul road. Floating only one cylinder permits the toe of the blade to follow a hard surface while the operator controls the slope with the other lift cylinder. An optional Variable Down Pressure feature allows you to select the amount of down force when the blade is in float. This helps you extend cutting edge life and is effective for removing snow and mud from a road surface.
Independent Oil SupplyLarge, separate hydraulic oil supplies prevent cross-contamination and provide proper oil cooling, which reduces heat build-up and extends component life. Cat XT™ hose allows high pressures for maximum power and reduced downtime.
Solutions to make work easier and more efficient
VIMS™VIMS uses on-board sensors to monitor a wide range of vital machine functions. If an abnormal condition is detected, it will alert the operator and instruct them to take appropriate action. This improves availability, component life and production while reducing repair cost and the risk of a catastrophic failure.
Cat Grade Control Cross SlopeCross Slope is a standard, fully integrated, factory installed system that helps increase operator productivity and precision to achieve desired cross slope by automating one end of the blade. The system is scalable, supporting all two- and three-dimensional upgrades to be fully compatible with all AccuGrade™ kits.
Cat MineStar™ System
Cat MineStar System is the industry’s broadest suite of integrated mine operations and mobile equipment management technologies, configurable to suit your operation’s needs.
- Fleet provides real-time machine tracking, assignment and productivity management, giving you a comprehensive overview of all operations from anywhere in the world.
- Terrain enables high-precision management of drilling, dragline, grading and loading operations through the use of guidance technology. It increases machine productivity and provides you real-time feedback for improved efficiency.
- Detect helps increase operator awareness, enhancing safety at your operation. It includes a range of capabilities designed to assist the operator with areas of limited visibility around fixed and mobile equipment.
- Health works to minimize unscheduled downtime and productivity loss, plus helps you keep your operating costs in check by streamlining service and maintenance management.
For additional information, please see your Cat dealer or visit mining.cat.com/miningtechnology.
Cat Product Link*Remote monitoring with Product Link improves your overall fleet management effectiveness. Events, diagnostic codes and data like hours, fuel, idle time are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink®. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to you and your Cat dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more. *Product Link licensing not available in all areas. Please consult your Cat dealer for availability.
Designed with protection in mind
Operator Presence Monitoring SystemKeeps the parking brake engaged and hydraulic implements disabled until the operator is initially seated and the machine is ready for operation.
Speed Sensitive SteeringMakes steering less sensitive as ground speed increases for greater operator confidence and control.
Secondary Steering SystemAutomatically engages a mechanical pump driven by transmission output so the operator can steer the machine to a stop.
Hydraulic LockoutDisables all implement functions while still providing machine steering control. This safety feature is especially useful while roading.
Brake SystemsBrakes are located at each tandem wheel to eliminate braking loads on the power train. Redundant brake systems utilize accumulators to enable stopping in case of engine failure.
Walkways and Grab RailsPerforated steel tandem walkways and conveniently located grab rails offer a sturdy platform and support for moving on, off and around the machine. Lighting can be activated from ground level and turned off via in-cab switch.
Object DetectionOptional camera and radar system alerts operator via an in-cab display if any objects are in close proximity when the machine is in reverse. The scalable system allows cameras and a display to be installed initially and radar to be added later for additional functionality.
Front and Rear CamerasCameras with in-cab monitors are available to further enhance lines of sight to help increase operator awareness of their surroundings.
Circle Drive Slip ClutchProtects the drawbar, circle and moldboard from shock loads when the blade encounters an immovable object. This standard feature also reduces the possibility of abrupt directional changes in poor traction conditions.
Blade Lift AccumulatorsHelp absorb impact loads to the moldboard by allowing vertical blade travel. This standard feature helps reduce unnecessary wear and also help reduce impact loading for enhanced operator safety.
Other Safety Features
- Grouped, ground level service points
- Laminated front window glass
- Optional LED Lighting
- Ground-level electrical disconnect switch
- Ground-level engine shutoff switch
- Optional dual access platform with emergency egress ladder
- Dual exits
- Auxiliary equipment mounting area
- Glare reducing paint for night operation
Serviceability and Customer Support
When uptime countsCat motor graders are designed to help customers increase uptime and reduce costs. Grouped service points and extended service intervals save maintenance time. A standard Automatic Lubrication System maintains proper grease on working surfaces, increasing component life and purging contaminants from pins and bushings to help prevent damage. Standard Fast-Fill allows customers to refuel in less than four minutes to get back on the job quickly.
- Cat VIMS monitors vital machine functions and alerts the operator if action is needed.
- Cat Messenger, combined with full systems integration, enhances diagnostic capability for quick analysis of critical data.
- Electronic Technician (Cat ET) lets service technicians access stored diagnostic data and configure machine parameters through the Cat Data Link.
- Low Battery Elevated Idle raises idle speed when low system voltage is detected, ensuring adequate system voltage and improving battery reliability.
- Automatic Engine Deration protects the engine and aftertreatment by automatically lowering engine torque output and alerting the operator if critical conditions are detected.
Unparalleled Dealer SupportWhen it comes to supporting customers, especially in remote or challenging conditions, Cat dealers are second to none. From machine selection and purchase to maintenance support and rebuilds, Cat dealers have the experience and capabilities to keep customers up and running.
Thinking generations ahead
- ACERT engine technology helps improve fuel efficiency. The 24M motor grader is 8-13 percent more fuel efficient* than the 24H.
- Integrated machine systems and technologies improve productivity for greater accuracy, lower fuel use and reduced machine wear. *Fuel efficiency and productivity estimates may vary based on application, operator, operating conditions, emission rating and other factors influencing machine performance.
Green House Gas Emissions• Reduced fuel consumption means reduced CO2 emissions.
Material Efficiency and Life Cycle Costs
- Replaceable wear parts save maintenance time and cost, and extend major component life.
- Major components are built to be rebuilt, eliminating waste and saving customers money by giving the machine and/or major components a second - and even third - life.
- Machine is built with a 97% recyclability rate (ISO 16714) to conserve valuable natural resources and further enhance machine end-of-life value.
Sound• Reduced engine noise and quieter cabs mean lower operator and spectator sound levels.
Safety and the Environment
- Ecology drains help make draining fluids more convenient and help prevent spills.
- Cartridge style fluid filters provide safe clean draining of filters prior to replacement - helping to prevent fluid spills.
- A variety of safety features help safeguard operators and others on the job site.